Living with Cancer
Cancer Risk Due to Gaining Weight
The possible reasons for cancer risk due to gaining weight from Several studies are as follows:
- Increased levels of insulin and insulin growth factor-1 (IGF-1), which develops some cancers.
- Chronic, low-level inflammation.
- Higher amounts of estrogen produced by fat tissue, which results in some cancers, such as breast and endometrial cancers.
Other factors include:
- High birth weight.
- Weight gaining as an adult.
- Weight Losing and regaining repeatedly.
Research also suggests that maintaining a healthy weight lowers the risk of cancer.
Types of cancer due to weight gaining
The following are the types of cancer linked with an increased weight:
- Head and neck
Measuring weight gain
BMI (body mass index) and waist measurements used to measure the obesity of an individual. A healthy BMI is usually between 18.5 and 24.9 and measured by the ratio of a person’s weight and height. A BMI between 25 and 29.5 comes under overweight, and 30 or higher for obesity.
Weight management tips
The following are some tips to maintain proper weight:
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, lean protein, and whole grains and some types of foods such as broth-based soups.
- Avoid high sugar content food and beverages.
- Take only the required amount of food, which has sufficient calories to maintain good health and to support the level of physical activity.
- Exercise daily for 30 to 60 minutes with intense physical activity because this activity results in more long-term benefits.
Suggestions for Overweight or Obese People
If you are currently overweight or obese, try to lose 5% to 10% of your body weight as your first step because even this small change means a lot to your body and beneficial. Consult health care organizations professionals such as dietitians to get weight management counseling and treatment.
Lifestyle behavior change. First, take help from a registered dietitian to change the food and physical activity lifestyle, which helps in weight loss.
Medical requirements. These Weight loss drugs get utilized when if you have severe health conditions to support in combinations of diet, exercise, and in case of behavior change support is not working.
Surgeries. The surgeries like bariatric surgery make a person’s stomach smaller if that person is having a BMI of 40 or higher or for severe health conditions